Sunday 9 September 2012

Sunday Supplement: On Imagined Communities

This Olympic summer has changed the discourse about Britain. We have identified shared values and told new stories to explain them. I hope they take route, for its the first time I've ever identified with the incidental country of my birth. There are many challenges we face, and these have not gone away while the sport has distracted us. But I hope these new stories will help us protect the UK from the social cuts of this vile government and the encroachment of big business into everything. I hope the new stories we have told will help us protest Atos and the cuts in disability provision, will fortify the NHS against privatisation and prevent the cuts to sporting opportunities for all. I hope that faith in each other with carry over into the coming winter.

I haven't changed my feelings about nationalism or internationalism. I still value humans over nations. But I have learnt that imagining our communities can be an act of creation and idealism. I've loved this Olympic summer for many reasons, and I hope the legacies last long. 

You may say I'm a dreamer. But this summer, I've learnt for the first time, that I'm not the only one.

No comments: