Friday 15 April 2011

On a most agreeable ending

Back from holiday, I plan to spend tomorrow catching up on some long overdue book reviews. But first, and without any spoilers, I wanted to provide an addendum to my last post about Sarah Waters' exceptional Fingersmith.

That moment when I realised the twist that had happened will remain with me for a long time. In a way, it so struck me that it overshadowed everything that followed. It appears that Sarah Waters predicted this, and decided not to try and supplant it thereafter. That may sound like a criticism, but it is not. In another, more concrete manner, this allowed Fingersmith to maintain an intensity that it could not otherwise have done. And in it's end, which I shall not give away, Waters produced a quiet inversion of my expectations every bit as devastating as the earlier one, but which shall live with me even longer. I absolutely loved it!

No comments: