Saturday 11 April 2009

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller


Read: June 2006

Without a doubt this is one of my ten favourite books. Its probably even in the top 5. The following review was one of the first I ever wrote and doesn't really catch how great this book is. I laughed my head off from page one. One day, perhaps I'll find time to write a proper review of Catch-22. In the mean time this is what I wrote a good few years ago now.

I expected to read Catch 22 without ever delighting in it. Like so many other novels with big reputations, I suspected it would flatter to deceive. I could not have been more wrong. This is without a doubt the most hilarious novel I have ever read. Delight in its sheer audacity and the darkly comic way that Joseph Heller deconstructs the absurdities of war. Unique and mesmeric, this is a joy from start to finish.

10 out of 10


No comments: